1/1 Photo of Upside- Down Caramel Pear Pie
Carmen B.'s Note:
This comes from Crisco.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the double crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco shortening
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 cup pecan halves, to cover bottom pie plate
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- cooking spray
- 3/4-1 cup sugar (depending on pear sweetness)
- 2 tablespoons pillsbury best all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 5 cups fresh pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the garnish
- 1/2 cup smucker's caramel topping
- fresh whipped cream (optional)
- 1Make the crust:.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, blend in shortening until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water and stir until dough forms a ball. Wrap ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- 3When chilled, cut dough in half. On a lightly floured cutting board or counter, roll each dough half out into an 11-inch circle. Let crusts sit until ready to assemble pie.
- 4Make the filling:.
- 5Line a 9-inch pie plate with a 14-inch circle of heavy-duty foil. Spread the 2 tablespoons butter over bottom of lined pie plate, using all the butter.
- 6Press pecan halves (outsides facing down) into butter in a decorative circular pattern around bottom of pie plate. Sprinkle nuts with brown sugar.
- 7Spray edges of foil-lined pie plate with cooking spray; set aside.
- 8In a large mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, stir together sugar, flour, spices and salt; add pears and toss gently to coat; set aside.
- 9Assemble the pie:.
- 10Transfer one of the prepared pie crusts to the pie plate, placing it over pecans; press down evenly. Top with pear mixture and dot with butter.
- 11Cover pears with second pie crust, roll edges under and crimp as desired. Cut several slits in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- 12Bake 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375° and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until crust is nicely browned.
- 13Let pie cool 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. To garnish, drizzle pie with caramel topping and serve warm, with whipped cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside- Down Caramel Pear Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1780 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5238.6
- Calories from Fat 2371
- Total Fat 263.5 g
- Saturated Fat 67.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.2 mg
- Sodium 1611.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 718.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 44.4 g
- Sugars 349.7 g
- Protein 42.4 g