Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From Giada De Laurentiis - Everyday Italian...yummy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 5 cups frozen mixed berries, thawed (about 30 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- To make the crust, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon zest, and salt in a food processor and pulse to blend.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until moist clumps form.
- Gather the dough into a ball then flatten into a disk.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Stir together the berries, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch in a 10-inch diameter round baking dish.
- Roll out the crust to a 14-inch diameter circle.
- Place the crust over the berries in the baking dish.
- Fold the crust over itself until it fits just inside the baking dish.
- Cut a 2-inch slit in the center of the dough.
- Bake until the crust is golden and the berries are bubbly, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip together the mascarpone, heavy cream, and honey.
- Cover and reserve in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To serve, scoop out the crostada into serving dishes and top with the whipped mascarpone.
This was an ok dish. I didn't like the crust very much but the mascarpone topping was delicious. I will use my own crust recipe next time.
I saw this prepared on Everyday Italian recently and just had to try it.....and boy, am I glad I did! Fabulous and highly recommended. I will definitely be making this again.