Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This sounds delicious! haven't made it yet, will after berry picking this summer! from BHG Aug 2007
- 2 cups berries (blueberries, raspberries and or or black raspberries)
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely snipped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 8-inch round cake pan, line bottom with parchment paper, grease.
- Arrange 1 1/2 cups berries in bottom of pan; set aside.
- In bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, basil, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, milk and oil.
- Add milk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined; pour over berries. Spread evenly.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen sides. Invert. Remove parchment. Top with remaining berries and a sprig of basil and/or mint.
Such a fresh twist! SUPER recipe for fresh berries and basil. Easy, beautiful and tasty. Love the cornbread texture.
So delish!! I added strawberries, too. Good for dessert or breakfast.
AMAZING! I served it warm as a birthday cake and it was devoured. I wanted a healthy-ish cake that used up some of my cornmeal. This was great. Perfect directions, perfect measurements. I used brown sugar, and sprinkled an extra couple tbsps of it over the berries before pouring in the batter. I served it plain- it didn't need a thing with it! I used blackberries and raspberries, and I went ahead and spread them ALL on the bottom of the cake pan- I didn't think they would stick as a post-baking topping. Only word of warning is- don't put in birthday candles while the cake is still hot! They melted into it. :)