Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From BC's Most Requested Recipes. An ooey-gooey do-ahead (1-24 hours) egg bake that will knock your socks off.
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 loaf sliced unfrosted firm cinnamon-swirl bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray bottom and sides of a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray or grease with shortening. In a large bowl, stir together first four (4) ingredients then gently stir in the bananas. Spoon this mixture into the baking dish.
- Reserving heels of bread for another use (feed the birds, they love cinnamon bread) arrange 2 layers of bread on banana mixture, tearing bread to fit if needed.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla until well mixed. Pour over bread. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 1 hour but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 325°. Uncover casserole and bake 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve portions upside-down, spooning sauce from bottom of dish over each serving.
Yummy breakfast right here! These will be made again soon, I promise!
Made for a wonderful breakfast this morning along with some oatmeal, and some maple glazed bananas #232110. Refridgerated for 12 hours, and added a tad bit pecans to the walnuts. Other than that minor change made recipe as posted and made for one great breakfast. Made for Recipe Swap 42.
Although I followed the recipe right on down (except that I did add 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the egg mixture), I cut the recipe in half & baked the resulting French toast in an 8"x*' pan for a little more than 40 minutes ~ More than enough for 2 of us, but this GREAT TASTING FRENCH TOAST was polished off for lunch! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag]