1/1 Photo of Upside-Down Apricot Caramel Crunch Cake
From BHG, made for a co-worker's birthday and enjoyed by all with rave reviews! I made two and the first one, I forgot the oats (oops!) but it was still good :) I couldn't get my hands on apricot nectar so used peach. Served with vanilla ice cream (caramel would also be good) and caramel sauce over the cake *and* ice cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 -17 ounce) can unpeeled apricot halves in juice, undrained
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can apricot nectar or 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can peach nectar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4-1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 3 eggs (or as boxed mix directs)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or as boxed mix directs)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil and grease foil. Set aside.
- 3Drain apricot halves, reserving juice in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add enough apricot nectar to the reserved juice to equal the amount of water called for on the boxed mix (probably around 1 1/4 cups - if you don't have enough, add water to make up the difference). Set liquid aside.
- 4Cut apricot halves into 1/2-inch-thick slices; set aside.
- 5Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle almonds over brown sugar. Arrange apricot slices on top of almonds; set aside.
- 6Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using the eggs and oil as instructed on the box, except add 1/2 cup oats into dry cake mix and substitute apricot juice mixture for the water called for in directions.
- 7Pour batter evenly over apricot slices and almonds in pan, being careful not to disturb apricots and almonds.
- 8Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 9Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Carefully invert onto a large serving platter; remove foil.
- 10Drizzle warm cake with caramel ice cream topping. If desired, top each serving with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside-Down Apricot Caramel Crunch Cake
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.0
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 37.3 mg
- Sodium 302.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 28.1 g
- Protein 4.5 g