From BHG, made for a co-worker's birthday and enjoyed by all with rave reviews! I made two and the first one, I forgot the oats (oops!) but it was still good :) I couldn't get my hands on apricot nectar so used peach. Served with vanilla ice cream (caramel would also be good) and caramel sauce over the cake *and* ice cream.
- 1 (15 -17 ounce) canunpeeled apricot halves in juice, undrained
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can apricot nectar or 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can peach nectar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4-1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 3 eggs (or as boxed mix directs)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (or as boxed mix directs)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil and grease foil. Set aside.
- Drain apricot halves, reserving juice in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add enough apricot nectar to the reserved juice to equal the amount of water called for on the boxed mix (probably around 1 1/4 cups - if you don't have enough, add water to make up the difference). Set liquid aside.
- Cut apricot halves into 1/2-inch-thick slices; set aside.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle almonds over brown sugar. Arrange apricot slices on top of almonds; set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using the eggs and oil as instructed on the box, except add 1/2 cup oats into dry cake mix and substitute apricot juice mixture for the water called for in directions.
- Pour batter evenly over apricot slices and almonds in pan, being careful not to disturb apricots and almonds.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Carefully invert onto a large serving platter; remove foil.
- Drizzle warm cake with caramel ice cream topping. If desired, top each serving with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.