1/2 Photos of Upside-Down Apple French Toast With Cranberries and Pecans
This is very tasty - not too sweet. I watched an episode of Tyler Florence where he made this but found myself making a few changes. I have listed this recipe with those changes. I ended up using cinnamon bread but left it with challah.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 loaf challah, cut into 1 inch-thick slices (about 5-6 slices)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup light brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling, divided
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or 1/2 cup blueberries or 1/2 cup raisins
- confectioners' sugar, garnish (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a flat dish, crack eggs and add milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Whisk until well combined then lay challah slices in mixture to coat and absorb it all, turning occasionally.
- 3Set a 14-inch skillet, seasoned cast iron if you have, over medium heat. Add the butter and 1 cup sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar has melted and caramelized, about 8 minutes.
- 4While the sugar is melting, peel apples, core and cut into slices. Remove the sugar mix from heat and gently whisk in the heavy cream. Sprinkle in the pecans, dried cranberries and gently press in the apple slices so there is a flat surface.
- 5Lay soaked slices of challah over the top so it is completely covered - you should be able to arrange the large slices and small slices so there are no gaps - cut some of the slices if you have too. Sprinkle the top with some brown sugar and place into the preheated oven. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is golden and puffy.
- 6When done, allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes then invert onto a large plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired, and serve.
- 7Chef's Note: FYI - if your cast iron skillet is not seasoned, the cranberries will react with the skillet and turn black.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside-Down Apple French Toast With Cranberries and Pecans
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 808.1
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 299.8 mg
- Sodium 409.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 69.8 g
- Protein 15.7 g