easier to prepare the night before, then bake in the morning.
Make and share this Upside Down Apple French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- Prepare the night before.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and water in saucepan, and heat on medium until bubbling stirring frequently.
- Place in 9x13 inch pan and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Peel and core apple slices, and place slices in rows together overlapping on top of sauce in pan.
- Sprinkle with raisins and cinnamom.
- Cut bread 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Place bread on top of apples.
- Mix together milk, eggs, and vanilla and pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve upside down.
- Spoon sauce in pan over French toast.
I adore french toast and this lovely treat was no exception. Really easy to make and quick; you just pop it into the oven in the morning for a lovely taste experience. We really enjoyed the flavor and texture of the french toast. It was light and puffy, with apples, cinnamon and raisins, what more could you ask for. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely dish Weekender. :)
Wow! Followed recipe basically, but changed a few things. Mixed apples into the brown sugar mixture. Used homemade challah bread, dried a bit in the oven. Layered bread, raisins plumped in orange juice, egg mixture, then apples on top. I like my french toast moist, and I thought this would keep it moister. It turned out gorgeous. Would be perfect to serve to company or for a holiday breakfast. Is a bit more like a bread pudding, but we loved it. Could also serve it as dessert. I topped with a syrup made of maple syrup, peanut butter, and orange juice. Awesome together and if you like peanut butter, give this a try. It would make a good dip, and kids would love it.
I made this two days before I baked it and it still turned out great. Served it to some overnight. guests and it was a huge hit! Made for think pink event 2012.