Recipe by pink cook
I got two of my Mom's cast-iron skillets. In one of them, i make eggs, omeletts, fried chicken, fried vegetables, fried breaded meats, etc. In the other one, i make cakes and desserts because i don't like to mix flavors in the same one. I have made this apple cake in it and it is very good, so am sharing my recipe here. Enjoy it like we do.
- 1⁄3 cup light butter
- 1⁄2 cup splenda brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or use ground apple pie spices)
- 3 medium green apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix (i use Duncan Hines with less sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup light butter, melted
- 1 cup ligh sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup light dark corn syrup
- 2 eggs (I use 1 cup egg beaters)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare the topping, melting the 1/3 cup butter in a 10" cast iron skillet ((2" deep), over low heat.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the brown sugar and ground cinnamon (or apple pie spices) using a fork.
- Spread this mixture evenly over the bottom of the skillet and arrange the apple slices over the butter/sugar mixture in the skillet.
- In a mixer, blend cake mix, 1 stick melted butter, sour cream, dark corn syrup, eggs and ground cinnamon.
- Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes longer until creamy.
- Pour the batter over the top of the apples in the skillet and then place the skillet in the oven and bake at 350ºF. for 40-45 minutes and bake until the cake rises high in the skillet, (it will spring back when lightly pressed with your finger when it's done).
- Remove skillet and cool cake in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan and carefully flip upside down onto a serving plate.
- Cool completely for about 15 minutes and serve warm with vanilla ice cream if you like.
- I have made this cake with Duncan Hines Caramel flavor cake mix and the taste is excellent, too.
- NOTE: this cake can also be made in these baking pans. Just prepare the butter, brown sugar and spices in a skillet over the stove and then pour this mixture in the baking pan sprayed with cooking oil, add the apple slices, pour the batter and bake it.
- Here is a guide to bake the cake in those pan sizes:
- Pan Size: 13x9 inches - Oven Temp: 350ºF. - Baking time: 30-35 minutes.
- Pan Size: 9x9 inches - Oven Temp: 350ºF. - Baking time: 35-40 minutes.
- Pan Size: 8x8 inches - Oven Temp: 325ºF. - Baking time: 50-55 minutes.