1/2 Photos of Upright Chicken in the Oven With Garlic and Cider
2 hrs 5 mins
Another variation on "beer can chicken." I hit upon the happy combination of garlic and cider by accident, but it's is a keeper. For roasting I use a stoneware dish with the "can" built-in, and serve with the same dish. Mine is from claycoyote.com, but you can use just about any version of this that holds the chicken vertical and catches the juices. Fresh chickens seem to taste better than frozen ones. This also makes a wonderful chicken soup base later if you boil the carcass and giblets with bay. The garlic that has been baking in the cider tastes great. I'm not kidding. Try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Pour cider into the cup on the roasting dish.
- 3Peel and crush garlic and drop into cider.
- 4Drop rosemary into cider.
- 5Remove giblets, neck, etc. from chicken and freeze for soup later.
- 6If the chicken is on the large size (depends on your roasting dish), cut off the tail to make it sit more upright. Freeze the tail with the other pieces.
- 7Rinse chicken and rub all over (inside and out) with steak seasoning.
- 8Place chicken on dish over roasting cup. If the wingtips are hanging beyond the edge of the dish, tuck them behind to prevent juices dripping in your oven. You can also put a cookie sheet or foil on the second oven rack below the one holding the chicken.
- 9Bake for 20 minutes per pound at 350°F.
- 10Cut into the joint between the leg and the body to make sure the meat is fully cooked. It should almost be falling off the bones, with a crispy skin all around.
- 11If the meat is done, take the chicken out of the oven, wrap in foil, and let it "rest" for at least 5 minutes before serving. This gives the juices time to redistribute and makes the meat really moist.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upright Chicken in the Oven With Garlic and Cider
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.0
- Calories from Fat 418
- Total Fat 46.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 213.8 mg
- Sodium 208.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 50.3 g