Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe, which consists of farina (cream of wheat) with vegetables and spices, is one of India's hidden culinary treasures. It makes a perfect workday one-pot meal. The recipe is adapted from the "vegetarian epicure", book two, by anna thomas.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 green chili pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili, crushed
- 1 cup farina
- 5 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, finely sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- lemon juice (to garnish) (optional)
- cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion until it is translucent.
- Add the mustard seeds and both chiles and stir over medium heat for a minute or two.
- Add the farina and stir for another few minutes.
- Still stirring, gradually add the hot water.
- Beat lightly with a wisk to get rid of any lumps.
- Add the green onions, diced carrots, tomato and salt.
- Simmer the mixture, stirring often, until it is quite thick, and the vegetables are tender.
- This may take as long as 45 minutes to one hour, over low heat.