1 hr 15 mins
lynnski / LA's Note:
This recipe, which consists of farina (cream of wheat) with vegetables and spices, is one of India's hidden culinary treasures. It makes a perfect workday one-pot meal. The recipe is adapted from the "vegetarian epicure", book two, by anna thomas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 green chili pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili, crushed
- 1 cup farina
- 5 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup carrot, finely sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- lemon juice (to garnish) (optional)
- cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion until it is translucent.
- 2Add the mustard seeds and both chiles and stir over medium heat for a minute or two.
- 3Add the farina and stir for another few minutes.
- 4Still stirring, gradually add the hot water.
- 5Beat lightly with a wisk to get rid of any lumps.
- 6Add the green onions, diced carrots, tomato and salt.
- 7Simmer the mixture, stirring often, until it is quite thick, and the vegetables are tender.
- 8This may take as long as 45 minutes to one hour, over low heat.
Nutritional Facts for Uppama
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.4
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 591.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 3.0 g