Prep 1 min
Cook 3 mins
This simple formula will get your upholstered furniture clean quickly, gently, and for a fraction of the price you'd pay for a store-bought upholstery shampoo. From a book by Jerry Baker.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup liquid dish soap
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl.
- Using a wire whisk or a hand-held electric mixer, whip the solution until dry suds start to form.
- With a soft cloth or brush, slowly massage the dry suds into an inconspicuous spot on the upholstery, and let it dry.
- If you see no change in color or texture, keep cleaning.
- When you've finished the whole piece of furniture, let it dry, then wipe it with a soft cloth dipped in warm water and wrung dry.
- Make sure the fabric is completely dry before you let anyone take a seat, otherwise it'll get dirty all over again.
- To speed up drying time, open some windows, or use a fan to"blow-dry" the fabric.
This worked very well on a couch that we purchased at a yard sale. The arms and one cushion were pretty dirty and this worked well. Thanks for a cheap and easy solution.