1/3 Photos of Updated Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 5 mins
I found this recipe in a Kraft Food & Family magazine and adapted it slightly to fit our tastes. I decreased the amount of beef stock and added the W sauce to make it slightly richer and thicker. DBF ate 2/3 of the pan the first time I made this, so it is definitely a hit around here. For faster prep, use leftover mashers. You could probably also use potato flakes, but I don't like those so I haven't tried it that way. DBF likes to eat his pie with HP sauce; I like it the way it is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1In a large saucepan, cover potatoes and garlic with water. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain; return to saucepan with sour cream. Mash to desired consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Brown meat in large non-stick skillet. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Add vegetables, broth, and ketchup; continue cooking 5 minutes.
- 4Spoon meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with mashed potatoes.
- 5Bake 18 minutes; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 6Bake an additional 2 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Updated Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 369.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese