Jaime in Winnipeg's Note:
I found this recipe in a Kraft What's Cooking magazine. Shepherd's Pie is one of my husband's all-time favourite dishes and I love new ways to make things healthier, so I made a double recipe and brought to a friend's place as she had just had a baby, and everybody loved it - there were no leftovers. Even the young, finicky toddlers gobbled it up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover potatoes and garlic with water in large saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- 4Drain and return potatoes and garlic to saucepan.
- 5Puree the cottage cheese until smooth and thick.
- 6Add to the potatoes in the saucepan and mash to desired consistency (I mash my potatoes with a hand held electric mixer).
- 7Stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- 8Preheat the oven to 375.
- 9Brown the ground beef in large frying pan.
- 10Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 11Add the vegetables, beef broth and ketchup and continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- 12Spread the meat mixture evenly along the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish.
- 13Cover with the mashed potatoes and top with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- 14Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Updated Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.9
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 58.3 mg
- Sodium 401.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 28.1 g