Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in a Kraft What's Cooking magazine. Shepherd's Pie is one of my husband's all-time favourite dishes and I love new ways to make things healthier, so I made a double recipe and brought to a friend's place as she had just had a baby, and everybody loved it - there were no leftovers. Even the young, finicky toddlers gobbled it up.
- Cover potatoes and garlic with water in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain and return potatoes and garlic to saucepan.
- Puree the cottage cheese until smooth and thick.
- Add to the potatoes in the saucepan and mash to desired consistency (I mash my potatoes with a hand held electric mixer).
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Brown the ground beef in large frying pan.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables, beef broth and ketchup and continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Spread the meat mixture evenly along the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Cover with the mashed potatoes and top with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted.