Prep 20 mins
Cook 32 mins
A few add-ons make an old classic new again. These are big burgers.
Make and share this Update Onion Burger recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 ounce dry onion soup mix (1 envelope)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 slices onions, thin (optional but recommend)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Preheat broiler. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, onion soup mix, water, garlic, hot pepper sauce, chili powder, ketchup, mustard, and pepper using your hands.
- Pat into 4 large thick patties.
- Place them on broiler pan. Broil the burgers for about 15 minutes per side, or until well done.
- Place buns on the broiler pan and toast briefly.
- Place burger patties onto the bottom halves of the buns and top each one with a slice of cheese, onion, and some avocado slices. Top with the top buns.
We really enjoyed last night for dinner. Haven't made burgers with the onion soup mix in ages but now I think I'll start using it again. I topped mine with the cheese, tomato, lettuce and loved every bite. The burger is so flavor filled you don't really need much in the way of toppings though. :D
I made half the recipe and got 4 burgers. The texture was perfect. And the taste also. So yummy. I omitted the garlic. I topped it with Maya's Super Yummy Secret Sauce. Thanks Deb :) Made for Holiday tag game
We have had onion soup mix in our burgers before and enjoyed them so wanted to give these a try. I only added a few dashes of hot sauce, had regular hamburger buns, american cheese instead of monterey jack, and did not add the sliced avocado. Have to agree with CoffeeB when she said the ingredient flavors listed after the hot sauce did not come thru as much as we would have liked but this was a good burger that was moist and juicy. I served Mr Dan1960's Grandma's Potato Salad #288130 and enjoyed a tasty supper. Made and reviewed for the Game Forums Went to the Market recipe tag game.