Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from a column written by the American Institute for Cancer Research published in the Daily Oklahoman. It sounds like a great use for frozen blueberries, and a way to get all of those healthy anti-oxidants!
- 283.49 g bag unsweetened frozen blueberries
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 inch strip lemon, zest of
- 118.29 ml sugar
- Defrost the berries.
- Put them in a deep pan and add the lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat until the berries are really juicy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and boil until the berries are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and bring to a boul over medium-high heat.
- Pout it into a heat-proof container and cool it to room temp.
- It should thicken as it cools.
- Remove the lemon zest.
- Cover it and refrigerate it.
- It can keep for up to a week in the fridge.
This sauce is fantastic! I used Splenda so that that I could use it for Weight Watchers' Core plan. I plan to try it with some cheesecake pudding. I halved the recipe, thinking it would be too much for just me, but I definitely could have made the full amount! Thanks for the recipe! Made for Healthy Choices ABC.
Excellent flavor and so easy to fix. I skipped step #1 and had my sauce done in 5 minutes. Used splenda for the sweetner and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken up a bit. If you use the cornstarch be sure and add with all the ingredients and stir to dissolve before heating. I used this on top of #248423 Healthy Protein Cheese Cake. This was a match made in heaven for my diet. Thanks ladypit.
Easy peasy, and yummy. I used fresh local blueberries but I think I added a bit too much freshly squeezed organic lemon juice and ours wasn't as sweet as it was meant to be but it was still good. I served this at room temperature overtop of a recipe I intend to post for a lightly chilled lebneh (an Middle Eastern cream cheese) cheese cake which I added close to serving time. It was excellent. I used organic lemon zest and organic cane sugar. I may make this again to go over some vanilla ice cream!