Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This so-simple pudding turns out as a master chef's creation using brown sugar,butter, milk and fruit of choice to create dumplings dropped into brown sugar syrup and baked 1/2 hour. It appears complicated, but is so easy with ingredients everyone seems to have. Enjoy!
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 cups hot water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup fruit, well drained and diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Have an ungreased 9x13 baking pan ready.
- If using canned or juicy fruit, drain thoroughly. Set aside.
- Microwave 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed and 2 cups hot water.
- Pour in baking pan.
- Microwave 4 tbsp butter and 2 cups hot water till butter is melted.
- Stir into mix in baking pan and SET ASIDE.
- In medium mixing bowl, using light fingers, combine 1 tbsp and 2 tsp butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar.
- Using fingers, work 1/2 cup flour into butter mix. Then using spoon, stir in 1/4 cup milk.
- Stir in 1/2 cup flour until well blended then 1/4 cup milk and 1 1/2 tbsp milk.
- Add the last 1/2 cup flour, all baking powder, salt and finally the fruit of choice.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into syrup in baking pan. Bake 35 - to 45 minutes until well browned (check dumpling bottoms in center of pan before removing).
- CAREFUL - THE SYRUP IS VERY THIN WHILE HOT AND SPILLS EASILY!
- SERVE warm or cold. Cream, milk or ice cream lovely addition.
- FRUITS I have used - all finely diced: Small can of or 1 cup of fresh:.
- pineapple chunks,.
- mandarin oranges.
- MAY ADD 1/3c CHOPPED NUTS TO DUMPLINGS AS WELL.
- FROM kitchen of: Mrs C Carpenter, Pres of Homemaker's Club, MacArthur, W. VA.