Recipe by HeatherFeather
I have had beer bread before, but this version is very different from any that I have ever tried. It contains cheese,raisins boiled in beer, and nuts. Dont expect this to have the same texture as a yeast bread - beer bread is a batter bread and is not kneaded. Adapted from The Naperville Sun.
- 2 cups beer
- 1 (15 ounce) package raisins
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated American cheese ((10 ounces))
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring beer to a boil in a small pan, then pour over raisins and let soak until cool.
- Combie flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Stir in the beer and raisins, eggs, cheese, and nuts, mixing well by hand until everything is combined (it wil still have some lumps and should resemble thick pancake batter).
- Spoon batter into 2 greased 9x5" loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes or until loaves test done.
- Let cool slightly on wire racks; serve warm or cold.