1/3 Photos of Unsweetened Crock Pot Applesauce
8 hrs 5 mins
I eat a LOT of applesauce (as a side dish, for breakfast, for a snack with a piece of cheese, you name it) and it seems silly to be buying it so frequently. I'm not always able to find unsweetened kind every single time I go to the store, so I make my own when I can, the way I like it and I finally got around to writing things down last night when I made a batch. Some may prefer a little more sweet in this recipe or may need to compensate for the apples being more more tart occasionally than other times. The types of apples I use vary, but I try for 2 or more kinds, any combination except Red or Golden Delicious as these types don't seem to make good applesauce. Organic seem to be best, but the selection wasn't very good for buying for this batch, so I peeled the non-organic apples before coring and chopping because I didn't want all the wax, but peeling is not an absolutely necessary step. Throwing it all in the crock pot is so easy and makes the house smell so nice!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 granny smith apples or 3 other tart apples, cored and chopped into chunks
- 3 fuji apples, cored and chopped into chunks
- 3 mcintosh apples, cored and chopped into chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 -2 cup organic no-sugar-added cranberry juice
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1Put all ingredients in crock pot, using 1 c cranberry juice if you prefer a thicker sauce, 1 1/2 c if you like a thinner sauce.
- 2Stir to coat.
- 3Cook on low for 7 hours or high for 3 hours.
- 4Check consistency of applesauce, adding more cranberry juice if too thick.
- 5Mash apple chunks with potato masher to desired texture, leaving it as chunky as you like.
- 6Taste for preferred tartness or sweetness, adding any sugar, honey or sugar substitute for your tastes.
- 7Cook on low for 1 to 2 more hours.
- 8Remove vanilla bean and star anise.
- 9Vanilla bean can be rinsed and kept for a few more similar uses.
- 10Serve warm or cold.
- 11Can be easily frozen and can be used when substituting for oil in reducing fat in some recipes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unsweetened Crock Pot Applesauce
Serving Size: 1 (1668 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.9
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 21.6 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
organic no-sugar-added cranberry juice