Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Requires very few ingredients and is very simple to make.
Make and share this Unsweetened Apple Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Roughly peel all the apples and core them. Slice the apples about 1 cm thick.
- Add the apples to a saucepan with 1/4 cup water. Add the cloves and the cinnamon stick. Cover and let it simmer on a low flame for 15-20 minutes.
- Add a bit more water if it starts drying out. Conversely, cook them uncovered if there's too much water.
- What you're looking for at the end are well softened apples with very little liquid.
- Once the apples are cooked, remove the cinnamon stick and cloves. Either purée the apples in a food processor or mash them with a potato masher. I used the food processor.
- This apple sauce can be used in various low calorie baking recipes :).
This very good, we really liked it. I had many more apples (almost 3.5 lbs) so I increased the water a bit and added cinnamon & ground cloves, a little more than a pinch. Had great success! I'm going to make more very soon! Thank you for posting this recipe.