Miss Erin's Note:
This is a simple recipe for an unstuffed turkey. Apparently this is how the USDA wants it, so as to make sure the bird gets cooked all the way through. Most people are going to stuff it, including myself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the Turkey inside and out and place on a rack in a heavy roasting pan. Let the bird sit for several hours, covered with a kitchen towel to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Place the bacon slices over the turkey.
- 3Roast for 30 minutes.
- 4Turn the heat down to 375°F.
- 5Remove the bacon.
- 6Don't baste the Turkey, just cook it until it is done (until the inner fold of the thigh reads at 165°F on a meat thermometer).
- 7If it begins to look too browned, too soon, cover it with foil, loosely.
- 8When done, remove to a serving platter for 10 minutes, tented with foil.
- 9For gravy, pour off all but 1/4 cup of the drippings.
- 10Add 4 cups of turkey broth and scrape up the little bits.
- 11Put the roasting pan over medium heat and boil to reduce the juices by half, stirring frequently.
- 12Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unstuffed Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (637 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1236.3
- Calories from Fat 632
- Total Fat 70.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 457.4 mg
- Sodium 1687.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 139.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: