Recipe by Uncle 12
This derives from my mothers cabbage roll recipe. Rolling those darn things is too time consuming, so...I came up with this short, less labor intensive version, and best of all tastes the same! Easily can be doubled for a potluck pleaser
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I made half the recipe using 1 lb ground round and a large bag of cole slaw mix (I'm not too steady with the knife for cutting cabbage heads!) This taste pretty much like my mom's stuffed cabbage but like you said, way easier to put together. Thanks for sharing Uncle 12. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green cabbage head, large, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 (28 ounce) cans campbell's tomato soup
- 2 cups tomato juice or 2 cups bloody mary mix
Directions See How It's Made
- mix first 7 ingredients and form into 1" meatballs.
- In a roasting pan, coat the bottom of the roasting pan with some of the cabbage.
- place meat balls ontop of cabbage.
- put remaining cabbage on top of meat balls.
- in a separate bowl, mix soup and juice or mix.
- pour over top of mixture, spreading evenly with a large spoon.
- bake, covered at 375 degrees on middle rack for about 1 to 11/2 hours until done.
- gently stir before serving.