Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This derives from my mothers cabbage roll recipe. Rolling those darn things is too time consuming, so...I came up with this short, less labor intensive version, and best of all tastes the same! Easily can be doubled for a potluck pleaser
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green cabbage head, large, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 (28 ounce) cans campbell's tomato soup
- 2 cups tomato juice or 2 cups bloody mary mix
- mix first 7 ingredients and form into 1" meatballs.
- In a roasting pan, coat the bottom of the roasting pan with some of the cabbage.
- place meat balls ontop of cabbage.
- put remaining cabbage on top of meat balls.
- in a separate bowl, mix soup and juice or mix.
- pour over top of mixture, spreading evenly with a large spoon.
- bake, covered at 375 degrees on middle rack for about 1 to 11/2 hours until done.
- gently stir before serving.
I made half the recipe using 1 lb ground round and a large bag of cole slaw mix (I'm not too steady with the knife for cutting cabbage heads!) This taste pretty much like my mom's stuffed cabbage but like you said, way easier to put together. Thanks for sharing Uncle 12. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.
My hubby and I loved this! I made it in my crock pot on high for 5 hours. I used less pepper than called for and it was still too much. Next time I will use 1/2 teaspoon instead.
This is my first review ever! I have to admit though that I used some of the seasonings from my stuffed cabbage recipe. The whole recipe concept I loved. I did not like having to do all the work of rolling them. Here's what I did different. Its just my DH and I so I cut ithe recipe back. I used 1 lb meat and adjusted to that. I did add to the meat and tomatoe mix chili powder, and worchestershire sauce.(my reg recipe calls for that & I like the flavor it gives.) For the sauce I used 1 can soup, 1 can v-8 juice, 1 small can tomato sauce, added the chili pwd, dash cayenne pepper,and worch. sauce. ( I like it saucy!) I thank you for the basic recipe and will deffinatly make it again!!!!