1/1 Photo of Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
This recipe came about after a failed casserole recipe turned into an amazing soup! Who says failure is a bad thing? You could even make this vegetarian/vegan by changing the meat to a veg friendly option and using a veg broth. Hope you enjoy this too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium cabbage (shredded and bagged cabbage or coleslaw mix works great and saves this step)
- 453.59 g ground turkey (TVP, veggie crumbles etc.) or 453.59 g lean ground beef (TVP, veggie crumbles etc.)
- 236.59 ml yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like)
- 1 eggs, beaten or 1 egg substitute
- 396.89 g can stewed tomatoes
- 226.79 g chicken broth or 226.79 g vegetarian chicken broth
- 340.19 g vegetable juice, like V8 (we like to use the hot & spicy here)
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml cayenne (more if you like) (optional)
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce (veg friendly can be used)
- 2.46 ml nutmeg, fresh ground is best
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml rice, raw
- 1Saute onion and garlic in a large skillet for about a minute. Add meat and cook, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink. Drain well and return to pan.
- 2Meanwhile, remove tough outer leaves from cabbage & remove core. Shred cabbage if not using a bag of shredded cabbage.
- 3Add cabbage into pan and saute with the meat just until the cabbage begins to soften.
- 4Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until rice is done. You can keep this on low for a long time if you like or even toss everything into a crock pot and keep on low.
- 5To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Remember- whoever finds the bay leaf is the lucky one! Just do not eat it!
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.1
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 62.3 mg
- Sodium 380.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 15.8 g