Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
This recipe came about after a failed casserole recipe turned into an amazing soup! Who says failure is a bad thing? You could even make this vegetarian/vegan by changing the meat to a veg friendly option and using a veg broth. Hope you enjoy this too!
Top Review by pena.denise
I love cabbage rolls. I have 3 recipes that I haven't tried. Why? Because I am lazy. I loved this recipe. I used 1.5 lbs of ground beef since that is the size that was defrosting so I added a bit more of everything else. I omitted the egg and added a bit of oregano. It was so thick I ended up using 30 oz of chicken broth and 17.5 oz spicy V8. It was not soupy even then but reminded me of what cabbage rolls end up looking like on the plate (or bowl). My husband loved it, I loved it, my 5 year old son hates everything I make so he doesn't count. I could make this twice a month and not get sick of it. Easy and delicious! Oh, after I browned and drained the meat, I just stuck everything in a pot instead of trying to get all that cabbage in a deep skillet. Excellent mistake, mama!!
- 1 medium cabbage (shredded and bagged cabbage or coleslaw mix works great and saves this step)
- 453.59 g ground turkey (TVP, veggie crumbles etc.) or 453.59 g lean ground beef (TVP, veggie crumbles etc.)
- 236.59 ml yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like)
- 1 eggs, beaten or 1 egg substitute
- 396.89 g can stewed tomatoes
- 226.79 g chicken broth or 226.79 g vegetarian chicken broth
- 340.19 g vegetable juice, like V8 (we like to use the hot & spicy here)
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml cayenne (more if you like) (optional)
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce (veg friendly can be used)
- 2.46 ml nutmeg, fresh ground is best
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml rice, raw
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in a large skillet for about a minute. Add meat and cook, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink. Drain well and return to pan.
- Meanwhile, remove tough outer leaves from cabbage & remove core. Shred cabbage if not using a bag of shredded cabbage.
- Add cabbage into pan and saute with the meat just until the cabbage begins to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until rice is done. You can keep this on low for a long time if you like or even toss everything into a crock pot and keep on low.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Remember- whoever finds the bay leaf is the lucky one! Just do not eat it!