Recipe by Michelle Berteig
From a free Penzey's recipe card... Edited 3/24/08 to add that I have now made this recipe for the first time. We really liked it, but found it a bit bland, so I doubled the amounts of vinegar and brown sugar and also added some ketchup to jazz it up a bit. Definitely a keeper, though!
Top Review by newmama
My family ate this right up. I used 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, 1 head cabbage, diced tomatoes and 1 cup tomato sauce, 2 tsp caraway and 3 tbs each vinegar and sugar. I made rice (1 cup dry) and stirred it in at the end, cooked for 10 more minutes.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 cups cabbage, cut into 1 inch wide strips (half of a 3 lb. cabbage)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, brown the ground meat and drain off any grease. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Add the cabbage and water and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, caraway seed and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer until the cabbage is cooked to the desired tenderness, about 30 minutes. Serve with white rice.