Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This flavorful casserole is fast and tasty, with a sweet/sour sauce. Reminiscent of the labor intensive stuffed cabbage rolls without all the work.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 med.)
- 8 cups cabbage, cut into 1-inch strips (approximately 1/2 of a 3 lb. cabbage)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice or 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- ground pepper
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and drain off any grease.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes to soften the onion.
- Add the cabbage and water and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and raisins. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover.
- Simmer until the cabbage is to the desired tenderness-about 30 minutes.
- Serve with white rice (optional).
Quite possibly the best unstuffed cabbage I've had yet. I cooked up some brown rice & added it in with the rest. I used cider vinegar. I did add the raisins. Everybody loved it! Thank you!