Chef #358821's Note:
This flavorful casserole is fast and tasty, with a sweet/sour sauce. Reminiscent of the labor intensive stuffed cabbage rolls without all the work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 med.)
- 8 cups cabbage, cut into 1-inch strips (approximately 1/2 of a 3 lb. cabbage)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice or 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground pepper
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and drain off any grease.
- 2Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes to soften the onion.
- 3Add the cabbage and water and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- 4Add the tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and raisins. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover.
- 5Simmer until the cabbage is to the desired tenderness-about 30 minutes.
- 6Serve with white rice (optional).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.7
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 1399.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 39.5 g
- Protein 25.1 g