Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An easy, flavorful version of an old favorite from Jane Brody's cookbook
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs cabbage, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup white rice, raw
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- In a large, heavy pot combine the first 7 ingredients; bring to boil.
- Meanwhile make meatballs with beef, rice, Worcestershire sauce and add to pot; reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- If desired, add raisins and cook an additional 15 minutes.
I skipped the rasins. This recipe is to die for. It has all the ingredients for a winning combination.
I make this recipe all the time. I omitted the raisins and used diced tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes. To save time, omit making the meatballs. Add all the ingredients in pot and cook until cabbage is done.
Wow what comfort food!! I LOVE cabbage rolls and this is the only way to go instead of spending hours in the kitchen messing with the old fashioned way. I used 3 - 16 oz. cans of tomato sauce because I didn't have canned tomatoes. I also sauteed the cabbage and onions in batches with cooking spray until wilted and lightly carmelized. Used garlic powder, kosher salt & black pepper in both the sauce and the meatballs. As a last thought I added 1 - 16 oz. can of undrained sauerkraut (the unsweetened kind) because that is what I add to my cabbage rolls when I make them. This is a keeper!!! Thanks so much for sharing!