1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Found this recipe in a magazine while doing my laundry one day last winter. Not nearly as much work as the stuffed version, and the dried cranberries are a nifty touch -- gives it a lovely spicy-sweet edge!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 green cabbage, quartered lengthwise and cored, about 2 pounds
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced and divided into 1/3 & 2/3
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, juice included
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1Place cabbage in a deep 12" skillet with broth and 1 sliced garlic clove and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- 2Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook covered, turning cabbage occasionally until very tender (approximately 45 minutes). Add more broth or water if necessary.
- 3Meanwhile, cook onion and rest of garlic in oil in a heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden (approximately 8 minutes). Increase heat to medium-high and stir in meat and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon until meat is no longer pink (about 3 minutes).
- 4Stir in tomatoes, cranberries, vinegar and brown sugar, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt.
- 5Pour sauce into the skillet with the cabbage and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
- 6Serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unstuffed Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.0
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.1 mg
- Sodium 99.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 21.2 g