Recipe by ladyknightscot
An unfussy way of getting the great taste of cabbage rolls.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
I thought this was quite good, ladyknightscot. It did taste similar to my mom's recipe for Cabbage Rolls, but most of my family thought it could benefit from a little more seasoning. I think the next time I make this, I'll start by adding a little chopped green pepper or perhaps chopped celery, just for a little extra taste and color. Made for the Spring 2014 Pick-A-Chef event.
- 750 g lean ground beef or 750 g ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8.