Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Like cabbage rolls but don't like the work involved? This low cal recipe could be just what you are looking for!
- 8 ounces lean ground beef or 8 ounces lean ground chicken
- 2 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup long grain rice, raw
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped fine, with juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown Sugar Twin or 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash lemon pepper
- Brown meat in a skillet with cooking spray.
- Spray and 8 by 8 dish with cooking spray.
- Layer cabbage on bottom of dish.
- Cover with onion, brown meat and rice.
- Combine tomatoes, mustard, brown sugar twin and salt and lemon pepper.
- Pour over mixture in the dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1-1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake additional 10 minutes.
I used one cup vegetarian ground beef (TVP) rehydrated with a cup and a half of water, seasoned with soy sauce, salt and pepper in place of the meat in this recipe and it was awesome. Never having had real cabbage rolls before, I didn't know what it was "supposed" to taste like, but my half Polish boyfriend approved heartily! More cabbage would be great because I like it, but it wouldn't fit in the pan! So easy too..it only took me about 10 minutes to put together. I found cooking time to be right on.
Tebo...this was a very fast and easy recipe. I love stuffed cabbage, but the work makes life verrry messy. Thank you for something quick and tasty. Just have to put this in for fun..Mom used to make stuffed cabbage in a pressure cooker..til it blew up....sauerkraut hanging from the ceiling! Thanks again! Jill
This was quite yummy and turned out well. My family enjoyed it. :)