Making and eating these cookies just make you feel downright virtious. They let you enjoy a great tasting cookie while feeling smug about not telling the kids or hubby that they are eating something thats natural and good for all of them (not just the tastebuds, lol). Use any, all or none of the options.
My Private Note
big coo ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup candied ginger, diced (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup toasted pecans (optional) or 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1To brown butter: Put butter in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Once butter has melted, continuously stir until you see it turn a caramel color. This generally takes 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Do not stop stirring or the butter solids will burn. The browned butter will add a nice depth of flavor to your cookies. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 2In a large bowl, mix cooled butter, olive oil, honey and maple syrup until well combined. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until all combined.
- 4If desired, mix in raisins and/or nuts.
- 5Allow dough to chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
- 6Note: The chilling step is important. These cookies will not hold their shape very well if baked before the dough is chilled.
- 7Preheat oven to 325°F (lower than most cookie recipes due to the honey, which can burn more easily).
- 8Scoop out cookies with a small ice cream scoop. Do not flatten the cookies. Because there is no baking powder in this recipe, this will help keep them from completely flattening out.
- 9Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 10Devour while still warm. Enjoy!
- 12Replace the listed options with dried cranberries and orange zest for another great flavor combination!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unprocessed Oatmeal Maple Spice Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.4
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 56.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 3.2 g