Recipe by Chef Shadows
This is a whole wheat communion bread recipe that our kids used to love out of the freezer in the summer.This is also authentic to the early centuries, if you use olive oil in place of the veggie oil and goats milk, as the staple bread of the times.
Top Review by Random Rachel
Delicious! I cut it into squares and they tasted like wheat thins. I subbed canola oil for the soybean oil. I sprinkled a few with raw sugar before baking, but we didn't really care for it.
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 7⁄8 cup warm milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix honey and oil and warm slightly.
- Mix egg yolk in warm milk.
- Add honey and oil to flour and salt.
- Then add egg and milk mixture gradually to the flour mixture.
- Divide dough into three equal pieces.
- Working with one piece at a time, roll out very thin to dinner plate size.
- Score dough using a shot glass for the center, then a saucer and next a salad plate (or whatever works to make approximateyl three equal outer circles).
- Then score twelve spokes out from the center circle.
- Bake on cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Wrap while still warm. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- Makes three flat loaves.