1/12 Photos of Unleavened Communion Bread
1 hr 30 mins
When I offered to be the person to make the Communion bread, I found myself somewhat nervous and intimidated. I tried 4 recipes, 2 leavened and 2 unleavened. I brought samples to some of the church members, and the minister. The members told me which ones they liked. The minister just smiled and said they were all fine, and whatever I did would be good. After several tries, I settled on this recipe. The minister was right... it does not matter. The bread is transformed into the Holy Sacrament at the altar. I use enough whole wheat flour to give it a nice color, and to help give the bread more body. I like to mark the bread with a cross, as a symbol and make it so that it is easily broken. We have 2 services, so I make 3 loaves. I pray as I make the loaves, and feel very humble that I am allowed to do this for our church.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- 2Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives.
- 3Add enough milk to pull dough together.
- 4Turn dough onto very lightly floured surface and kneed gently for 5 minutes or so.
- 5Weigh dough, and divide into three portions.
- 6Use 3 small pieces of parchment paper, drawing circles (5 1/2", using a small lid) in pencil, and placing the penciled side down so that the pencil marks do not show on the finished breads.
- 7Place each portion onto the parchment paper.
- 8Flatten and shape each loaf into size wanted, (using the markings as a guide) and score. (I flatten to about 1/4" and score with biscuit cutter, pizza wheel, and a fork).
- 9The photos show how I score the loaves. I score them so there will be 40 pieces per loaf.
- 10Bake at 400° to 15-20 minutes until slightly brown at the edges. (I place the parchment and bread on a pizza stone to bake and bake them one at a time since my stone only accommodates one).
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unleavened Communion Bread
Serving Size: 1 (3 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 120
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 16.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.0 mg
- Sodium 10.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 0.2 g