1/5 Photos of Unknownchef86's Microwave Soft Vanilla Caramels
I don't know if people will thank me for posting this, or hunt me down because they've become addicted to them! These are so good, they should be illegal! These caramels are extremely fast to make and extremely good! I don't see why they couldn't be substituted in any recipe calling for store-bought wrapped caramels. They are a spinoff from the Creamy Caramel Microwave Popcorn recipe by VillageMom (Creamy Caramel Microwave Popcorn). I love the caramel corn, but I love the caramel even more! I made these for candy trays I'm giving out for Christmas 2005, and liked it so much I figured I'd better post it...so I don't ever lose it or forget what I did! That and I need to share the addiction (insert evil laugh). Make sure you use GOOD QUALITY (Reynold's) heavy duty aluminum foil, as I used a cheaper brand that definitely wasn't the "heavy duty" it was advertised to be...and wound up picking aluminum foil pieces off of the caramel. The number of servings is approximate. Cooking time does not include time for the caramel to cool (before cutting)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note: If possible, recruit an extra person or two to help cut and wrap the caramels. It can be done on your own with no real problem, but extra hands make the job easier. If you are doing the wrapping and cutting on your own, I would advise doing it in stages: cut all the wax paper squares, then cut the caramel into individual pieces, then wrap them according to directions. Rinse your hands occasionally with hot water, then towel-dry, to remove any residual stickiness.
- 2Butter an 8x8 inch pan. Line the pan with foil, folding any excess over the outside edges; set aside.
- 3Mix the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a microwave-safe glass bowl or measuring cup. I use my 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup or my 8 cup Pampered Chef measuring/mixing bowl, both of which have a handle.
- 4Microwave on high for two minutes.
- 5Stir mixture and return to microwave for two minutes longer.
- 6Add 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk and stir well.
- 7Microwave three and a half more minutes.
- 8Remove from microwave and stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- 9Pour into prepared pan, scraping any residual caramel from the sides of the bowl. Be careful not to touch the caramel, as getting a sugar burn would put a real damper on your day.
- 10Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- 11While the caramels are cooling, cut the wax paper squares; set aside. Note that the number of servings is dependent on how large/small you cut the caramels.
- 12When the caramel is cooled, remove foil liner from the pan via the foil "wings" folded over the top of the pan.
- 13Cut into approximately 1 inch squares with a well-buttered knife or dough scraper, being careful not to cut through the foil.
- 14Butter your hands well, then place one caramel in the middle of a wax paper square. Roll it into a cylinder, then twist the ends.
- 15Store the wrapped candies in a cool, dry place.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unknownchef86's Microwave Soft Vanilla Caramels
Serving Size: 1 (9 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 64
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 36.5
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.9 mg
- Sodium 11.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 0.2 g