Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wildly addictive recipe my sister gave me. It's just spicy enough to make you catch your breath, but so tasty you'll keep coming back for more! Don't let the tofu in the recipe fool you. Tofu absorbs the flavors of the dish it's in, and by the time you get done making this, your family won't even know it's tofu! I highly recommend you do yourself a favor and get the hermetically sealed tofu (NOT the ones floating in water!). There is a big quality/flavor difference. Also, do not expect the same results if you do not make the recipe according to instructions. If you leave the liquid in the tomatoes or don't cook it according to instructions it will come out completely differently. My sister said she only made that mistake once...and swore she'd never do it again.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 -12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -3 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package extra firm tofu (I use Mori-Nu Silken)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, packed in juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) package spaghetti, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Squeeze juice from tomatoes til dry; reserve tomatoes and juice in separate bowls.
- Remove tofu from the box and place in a small bowl.
- Squish with your hands until approximately the size of small peas; set aside.
- Put oil, garlic, pepper flakes and tofu in wok or deep skillet; saute til garlic is golden (about 2 minutes).
- Add squished tomatoes; stir 3-5 minutes.
- Add spices; stir 3-5 minutes.
- Add reserved tomato juice; continue to stir 3-5 minutes.
- Add cooked, drained pasta; stirr 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add cheese, toss and serve.
- Let cool.
- Best served at room temperature.
This was great. I did use diced tomatoes (as did someone else), and I used at least 12 cloves of garlic. There's no such thing as too much garlic! I think one of the most important things of this recipe is that you MUST use fresh parmesan cheese. The stuff in the green box is not going to give you the same result. Thanks for a great healthful meal!
DH had no idea there was tofu, but couldn't figure out why he couldn't taste the feta. I actually would have like it a little more saucy. I used 1.5 tsp red pepper flakes, but DH thought it was a little spicy. I'm not sure that we would make this one again.
Delicious! I used 12 cloves of garlic and 2t. red pepper flakes and whole wheat pasta. I also added chopped mushrooms and zucchini along with the tomatoes. I will be making this again!