1/6 Photos of Unknownchef86's Green Tomato or Zucchini Relish
1 hr 30 mins
This mighty relish is one that I grew up with. This was originally a green tomato relish recipe, but one year my mom found herself with a lack of green tomatoes and an excess of monster zucchini. So she adapted. Different than most relishes in that it contains cabbage, I haven't yet found one that will match the flavor and texture. It's wonderful for hamburgers and hot dogs. And it makes killer tartar sauce for fish and chips (see Unknownchef86's Killer Zucchini Relish Tartar Sauce). Once when I was a kid, and she was making fish and chips, my mom ran out of this relish. She sent one of my brothers to the store for tartar sauce. It eventually wound up being thrown out, because no one would eat it. In a houseful of non-picky eaters...that says something! PS: This recipe works best with those huge zucchini that you can occasionally find in your garden...and that other people are usually desperate to get rid of! While my mom used to peel the zucchini before making this, I find I prefer it unpeeled, as it adds to the color. Sorry I can't tell you the quantity...we never counted. Prep time is approximate, and does not include the drain-time. Note (11/03/2006): I accidentally omitted the onions when I originally posted the recipe. That has been corrected. Thanks to Chef 238044 for catching that error for me! (I wondered why you added extra onions when I read your review...oops!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 quarts green tomatoes (see note) or 8 quarts zucchini, ground (see note)
- 1 cup salt
- 1 medium head of cabbage, ground (see note)
- 6 green bell peppers, ground (see note)
- 5 red bell peppers, ground (see note)
- 6 medium onions, ground (see note)
- 3 quarts white vinegar
- 8 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1Note: Grind vegetables with the coarsest blade on a meat grinder (hand-crank or otherwise); you can usually buy the hand-crank kind fairly cheaply at a thrift store.
- 2Mix ground tomato or zucchini and salt, then pour into a cloth bag. Hang and let drain, overnight, over a non-metal container.
- 3In the morning, remove tomato/zucchini to a large, non-reactive (non-aluminum) pot and add remaining ingredients.
- 4Bring to a boil; simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- 5Pour into sterilized pints and seal.
- 6Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unknownchef86's Green Tomato or Zucchini Relish
Serving Size: 1 (13425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.4
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5444.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 92.3 g
- Protein 5.0 g