Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This makes a first-rate country French bread in your ABM. My family loves it so much I can't make it fast enough! Makes a 2 lb. loaf. This is also an excellent dough to make by hand. Simply let it raise a couple of times, punch it down in between and bake it off in a 400 degree oven for approximately 30-40 minutes (I don't remember exactly how long). Bread should sound hollow (when tapped) when done.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water (yes, cold)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups bread flour (if using all-purpose flour, substitute 3 tabl. flour with 3 tabl. vital gluten)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- Measure all ingredients into pan in order given.
- Use French setting and medium or dark crust (depending on your preference and your machine).
This is excellent. I could not believe cold water but followed exactly and WHOA nelly, thid makes a huge loaf of bread plus. I made a 1 lb loaf of bread plus 8 rolls for dinner sandwich size. The taste is light but fragrant. I followed the AP flour with wheat gluten directions. Thank you so much for those. Will be made often!!! ZWT Kitchen Witches
Thanks for this recipe! So easy. I used the AP flour plus gluten version, but added a little more gluten at a ratio of 1 T per cup. I'm surprised how long it's lasting without going stale, too, given the lack of fat. Love how light it is.
Sorry, this did not work out well for me.