This delightfully quick and easy sandwich will make a Monte Cristo lover out of you. Don't substitute the green can of Parmesan for the freshly-grated stuff...there's a huge difference in flavor. For convenience, this recipe uses a pre-roasted rotisserie chicken from your local market. The amount for the chicken is approximate...you need enough to cover the bread, to taste. Serve this sandwich with a bowl of tomato soup for a hearty lunch or dinner. I also like it made ahead, chilled and eaten cold in a sack lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- cayenne pepper (a pinch)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices sourdough French bread, large round artisan-style, cut in half to make 4 sandwiches
- 4 slices swiss cheese, good quality
- 2 cups rotisserie-cooked chicken, thinly sliced (I prefer the breast)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 8 slices thin-sliced cooked ham, good quality (I prefer off-the-bone from the deli)
- honey mustard (optional) or raspberry preserves (optional)
- 1Egg Mixture: Using a fork, lightly beat the eggs and salt together in a shallow pan. Add remaining ingredients and beat to combine. Set aside.
- 2Sandwich Prep: Layer the cheese, chicken, Parmesan, and ham on half of the bread slices. Top with remaining slices of bread.
- 3To completely cook the egg and melt the cheese, it's better to cook this a little longer and a little slower. Preheat a griddle (I use a cast iron one) over medium-low heat and coat with half the butter.
- 4Quickly dip two of the sandwiches in the egg mixture -- the bread should be coated but not saturated.
- 5Place in the skillet and cook until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side, carefully flipping to avoid filling falling out. Also, flip as necessary to prevent scorching. Cook til cheese is melted.
- 6Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- 7Serve with more mustard or preserves, if desired.
Nutritional Facts for Unknownchef86's Easy Chicken Monte Cristo
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.1
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 255.9 mg
- Sodium 957.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 44.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: