This is a recipe I came up with when I had an excess of potatoes. These are sooooooo much cheaper than buying premade mixes. It takes a bit of effort, but it's worth it! Something I also like is the fact that it doesn't have the sulfites that some products include. I don't bother peeling the potatoes before I make these, but then again I don't normally ever peel potatoes...I cook them with the skins on. You could do either. I used a corkscrew slicer (looks like a screw with a piece of metal attached) because that's what I had. It created a hole in the middle, which I wasn't sure I liked, but it probably helped the potatoes dry faster in the long run. If you use the corkscrew slicer, the potatoes will come out looking kind of like a big slinky. Set the potato on it's end and cut through all the slices...it will separate them into individual slices. If desired, you could use a mandoline, but I think I like the corkscrew slicer better due to decreased drying time. Drying time not included in recipe, as it will vary from model to model.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put a large pot (12 quart?) of water on to boil. A water bath canner works well, or you could do smaller batches in a smaller pot. In my book, it's quicker and much easier to use a large pot.
- 2Have a sinkful of cold water ready.
- 3Slice potatoes using either a corkscrew slicer or a mandoline.
- 4Rinse potatoes with cold water, making sure all slices are separated from each other.
- 5Gently put the potatoes in boiling water (don't get burnt!) and stir well to make sure potatoes are separated.
- 6Let cook 3 minutes.
- 7Drain potatoes and plunge them into the cold water to stop the cooking; stir to make sure they are cooled.
- 8Dehydrate according to your dehydrator's directions/time -- they should be dry to the point of snapping when done.
- 9Store in a cool, dry place.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unknownchef86's Dehydrated Sliced Potatoes (Dried)
Serving Size: 1 (2270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.6
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 45.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 132.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.6 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 15.2 g