Recipe by UnknownChef86
I got this recipe from my sister, and it quickly became my favorite pepper-steak recipe, even over the one we had grown up with! You can use extra-lean ground beef instead of steak for a more frugal version, if you like.
Top Review by KeyWee
I loved this! Made recipe exactly as posted except had to use red and yellow peppers (DH won't eat green ones). I also omitted the water chestnuts ~ same reason. At first I thought it would be too much liquid with the 3/4 cup of water ~ wrong! Amounts for sauce are just right. Served with rice ~ this was delish! Thanks, UC.
- 1 lb beef steaks, sliced thin or 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil (omit if using ground beef)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large bell peppers, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules or 3⁄4 teaspoon au jus mix
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cooked rice or noodles, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute steak in oil (if using ground beef, omit oil).
- Add garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Remove meat and keep warm.
- Add peppers and onions to same pan; cook til crisp-tender.
- Add beef flavoring, hot water, and water chestnuts.
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, cold water and sugar; stir into skillet.
- Add meat; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Serve over hot rice or noodles.