This cake is so delicious and so versatile! I first discovered the applesauce version in Jim Fobel's, "Old-Fashioned Baking Book." I didn't have any applesauce, so I tweaked it and made pumpkin cake instead. It was an instant hit, and I usually continue to make it with pumpkin instead of applesauce. Serve with a big dollop of whipped cream, if desired. See note in directions to make the pumpkin cake. I don't normally make this with the raisins and nuts, but you can include them if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note: If making pumpkin cake, omit cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and applesauce and replace with a can of pre-spiced pumpkin pie filling.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Grease and flour a 9x13.
- 4Stir together, in a medium bowl, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- 5In a small bowl, combine the raisins and walnuts; stir in1/4 cup of the flour mixture to coat.
- 6In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar til fluffy.
- 7Beat in egg, vanilla and applesauce.
- 8Beat in dry ingredients, then stir in the raisin and walnut mixture.
- 9Turn into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- 10Bake 35-40 minutes or til top springs back.
- 11Cool in pan on a rack.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unknownchef86's Applesauce or Pumpkin Cake
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.4
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 150.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 1.4 g