Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This cake is so delicious and so versatile! I first discovered the applesauce version in Jim Fobel's, "Old-Fashioned Baking Book." I didn't have any applesauce, so I tweaked it and made pumpkin cake instead. It was an instant hit, and I usually continue to make it with pumpkin instead of applesauce. Serve with a big dollop of whipped cream, if desired. See note in directions to make the pumpkin cake. I don't normally make this with the raisins and nuts, but you can include them if you like.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce (see note)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Note: If making pumpkin cake, omit cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and applesauce and replace with a can of pre-spiced pumpkin pie filling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x13.
- Stir together, in a medium bowl, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a small bowl, combine the raisins and walnuts; stir in1/4 cup of the flour mixture to coat.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar til fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla and applesauce.
- Beat in dry ingredients, then stir in the raisin and walnut mixture.
- Turn into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or til top springs back.
- Cool in pan on a rack.
Outstanding cake! I did the applesauce version, I used 1/4c. raisins, 3/4 c dried cranberries and the optional walnuts. The ingredients did not mention nutmeg, but the instructions did, so I used 1/4t. and then decided a 1/4t. ginger would be lovely too, so in that went. It mixes together very easily and smells lovely while baking. I decided to frost it with recipe #22376 as I remember Mom frosting spice cake with penuche frosting when I was little. You do need to eat this with a fork not like bars as the texture is very delicate. The flavor was delicious. I cannot wait to try the pumpkin variation.