Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This is a relatively quick, easy sorbet that's amazingly versatile. I've made it with fruit juices, smoothies, and even alcopops (those Smirnoff fruity drinks work best).
For Simple Syrup
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml water
For Sorbet (use the simple syrup and)
- 473.18 ml fruit juice, cocktail or 473.18 ml other flavoring
- Stir the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and heat over a medium-high stove until the mixture begins to boil and the sugar completely dissolves. Remove from burner immediately and place in another container to cool. (Allow your simple syrup to cool completely before use, for best results cool it on the counter and then refrigerate it overnight in a sealed container.).
- Mix your fruit juice and simple syrup together in a medium bowl, then pour into your prepped ice cream maker and allow it to stir for 25-30 minutes (or whatever your ice cream maker's directions specify). You want the mixture to be very thick.
- Using a rubber spatula, spoon your sorbet into freezer-safe containers and freeze until firm.
I finally had enough room in my freezer for the bowl of my new ice cream maker, so this was the recipe I chose for it's "maiden voyage". I used sour cherry juice for this, although the sweetness of the sugar syrup pretty much canceled out the sour part. Loved how silky this is once frozen, not icy at all. Maybe it's my homemade frozen dessert inexperience speaking, but I found that this melts really quickly, although that's easily remedied by just eating it faster, lol. The sugar syrup makes this really sweet, so this might be a bit cloying with an already-sweet juice, but I bet this would be a perfect vehicle for some more tart fruit flavors (lime, grapefruit, cranberry, etc). I wonder what kind of caipirinha or mojito sorbet this would make? A project for another day, but I'll definitely be using this recipe again this summer. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2012
Wow!! This was so easy to put together! We tried it with lemonade. I'm interested to try it with the Smirnoff since I love those!! We really enjoyed this, Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 08'