Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This salad is very different because of the way you make the dressing. I have never seen another recipe like this one. It will spoil you for other like recipes. My recipe is so old it is falling apart, so thought I best get it in here. If you give it a try, be sure to use the small salad pasta.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small baby shrimp
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, -rough chop
- 2 cups mayonnaise (best foods)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb size 22 pasta shells
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked peas (keep them crisp)
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallion (about 12)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimiento, rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley (I like the dried)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (I use bottled)
- salt and pepper
- lettuce leaf
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion (optional)
- In your food processor or blender, add 1/4 of the shrimp, the 4 hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise and wine. Blend until smooth. Cover and chill.
- In 5 quarts of salted water, cook the pasta 8 to 10 minutes or just al dente. Rinse in a colander under cold running water; drain well.
- Chop or leave whole the remaining shrimp.
- In a large bowl, combine them with the pasta, peas, scallions, pimiento, parsley, lemon juice and dressing.
- Toss until all the ingredients are coated with the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss again. Cover and chill.
- TO SERVE: Line a serving bowl with the lettuce leaves and mound the salad in the center. Top with the red onion. I also cook 1 extra egg and slice it on top. The presentation and taste are divine.
Unique and delicious. I thawed some frozen peas and didn't bother to cook them before adding. The flavors of all the ingredients work well together.
This recipe is splendid! We really liked it. I used Chardonnay for this recipe. Worked great! Loved the flavors of the combined ingredients. The presentation was very pretty with all the colors. Will make again for July 4th barbecue we plan on having. This is a keeper all the way!