Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting this for nutrition information and for anyone interested in something a bit different from the usual chili. This does not have much liquid at all; but I am hoping after I read the nutrient info that it has the vitamin and protein count I am looking for. I think it has a very nice taste, and enough spice even without the chili powder. As with all chilis, everything is adjustable; especially the amount of heat you desire. The type of mushroom you choose is also optional; I find the baby portabellos worked nicely. If you try it; hope it works for you.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans (save liquid)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 fresh beet, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup purple onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- Saute ground turkey meat in olive oil, garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper here if desired.
- When meat is just about cooked through all the way add can of beans, including the liquid in the can and the rest of the ingredients and simmer on lowest setting for 30 minutes, stirring occasionaly.
- Check carrot to test for doneness to your liking, if you prefer softer veggies then cook for longer.