Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Love this recipe...helped me land my hubby! My new family requests this often. I found it in a cookbook published by the Hispanic Ministry of my Presbyterian church. I have added some touches to it and listed them as optional. This freezes exceptionally well and can be made as mild or spicy as suits your palate. The original called for corn tortillas but I found them to "wilt" and much prefer flour tortillas. Top with leftover cheese and some chives. The only thing that takes it 45 min. to make is allowing 30 for the boiling and de-boning of chicken. If time is an issue, use chicken breasts.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- chili pepper (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 5 ounces Rotel Tomatoes, plus 1/2 c. water (good with spicy Ro-Tel for a kick) or 1 (30 ounce) can whole tomatoes, no water
- 10 flour tortillas, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 lb taco blend cheese or 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese
- paprika (optional)
- Cook and bone chicken.
- Sauté onion and peppers in butter in large saucepan.
- Add soups, tomatoes (and water if used).
- Layer tortillas, sauce, chicken, and cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350°F for one hour.
- Sprinkle paprika and cheese, chives for garnish on top.
- This is best with Ro-Tel not whole tomatoes and a mixture of shredded pepper jack and sharp cheddar.
Very delicious. I used mexican/taco blend cheese and rotel. I added some water so the leftovers would be more moist. Took me an hour to make with leg quarters and it was very very good. Will be making again soon!