Recipe by cookiedog
This is a healthier version than most refried bean recipes. You can make this vegetarian by using all water.And the best part of all it cooks in the crockpot! This is adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 cups water (or 9 cups an equivalent amount of half water and half broth)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.
- Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.