Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "The Good Carb Cookbook." Posted for safe-keeping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Special K cereal
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons fat free egg substitute
- 1 lb green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick or 3 medium green tomatoes
- nonstick olive oil flavored cooking spray or garlic-flavored cooking spray
- Place the cereal in a food processor and process into coarse crumbs. (Alternatively, place the crumbs in a zip-type bag and crush with a rolling pin or bottom of a glass.) There should be 3/4 cup of crumbs.
- Combine the cereal crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil and black pepper in a shallow bowl and stir to mix well. Pour the egg substitute into another shallow bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450. Dip the tomato slices first into the egg substitute and then in the crumb mixture, turning to coat both sides well. Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and arrange the slices in a single layer on the sheet. Spray the tops lightly with the cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated 450 oven for 8 minutes. Turn the slices with a spatula and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Serve hot.