Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband is hispanic and started making these shortly after we were married. I was suprised that most of the flauta recipes on here called for deep frying them! We've always baked them! Also, instead of dipping each tortilla in oil, you can coat both sides with cooking spray--just heat tortillas in the microwave first--it should work just the same. Also, your chicken breast size will determine how many you actually make (I estimated what we normally make) You can use whatever fillings you want and add whatever you'd like...this is just the base of what we typically use.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 12 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- milk or water
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a skillet, cook chicken through. Add seasoning per envelope directions. Set aside.
- In a smaller skillet, fill up to halfway with vegetable oil, heat until hot. Quickly dip each corn tortilla into the oil, letting oil set in (about 2-5 seconds). Place on a paper-towel on a heat-proof plate. Repeat until all have been heated.
- On a workspace, place one tortilla (Be careful, as the tortillas may be VERY hot). Spoon 1-2 Tablespoons of chicken onto center of tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and roll up tortilla (ends will be open). Place seam-side down on a cookie sheet. Repeat until all have been used.
- Place in oven, bake about 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown and crispy.
- For cheese sauce, in a microwave-safe bowl, place velveeta cheese. Melt in microwave. Add Rotel to taste, and milk or water to thin.
- Tip: If you have leftover tortillas, cut them into wedges and bake for 5-10 minutes until crispy for chips.
Made for Spring PAC 2008. Made for lunch and we enjoyed them. I followed the recipe as written other then I used regular tomatoes instead of rotel as my kids don't like tomatoes so only added them to mine. My boys enjoyed them. Makes for a nice lunch or quick dinner.