Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Chicken is a world-famous citizen to be found everywhere. It is as ubiquitous as cola drinks, sewing machines and Hollywood movies! India is blessed with a multitude of chicken recipes from across the length and breadth of the country. From saffron (known as "zaffrani" in Hindi) flavoured chicken dishes of Kashmir to the robust butter chicken of Punjab, to the Mughlai Chicken Biryani and Malai Kababs...the list can go on. But for now, print out this recipe, step into your kitchen, and try out this wonderful apricot chicken that is refreshingly different. This recipe is from Chef Sanjeev Kapoor and was published in today's Young Times.
- 500 g boneless chicken, cleaned, washed and cut into 1 inch sized cubes
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 2 medium red capsicums (bell peppers)
- 7 -8 almonds
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 7 -8 peppercorns
- To make this delicious chicken, start off by cleaning, washing and cutting the chicken into one inch sized cubes.
- Then, soak the dried apricots in hot water for 10 minutes; drain.
- Discard the seeds.
- Puree half the apricots.
- Keep the rest aside.
- Wash, de-seed and cut capsicums into juliennes.
- Blanch the almonds and cut them into slivers.
- Reserve few for garnishing.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan.
- Once it melts, add the capsicum and sauté.
- Add salt and the blanched almond slivers.
- Continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes; remove onto a serving plate and spread evenly.
- Heat the remaining butter.
- When it melts, add the brown sugar and stir well.
- Add the boneless chicken pieces, mixing them in the mixture really well.
- Add salt to taste and a little freshly crushed peppercorns (the taste of the peppercorns when freshly crushed is amazing!). Mix well.
- Add the apricot puree, de-seeded apricots and a little water, if necessary.
- Cook till the chicken is done.
- Add some more freshly ground peppercorns; stir.
- Pour over the capsicum-almond layer in the serving plate.
- Sprinkle almond slivers.
- Hop onto the lunch table and serve at once!