Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I usually double this recipe because everyone loves it so much and it reheats well. A friend of mine says it freezes well, but it never lasts long enough in my house to find out.
- 1 (16 ounce) box ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb country sausage
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce (use primavera for more veggies)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lb small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb frozen spinach (thawed & squeeze drained)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 bell peppers, diced (green, yellow or red)
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- Cook ziti according to package instructions, rinse and set aside.
- Mix sausage & ground beef together and cook in a skillet until done and crumbled.
- Drain, and set aside.
- Saute onions & peppers until almost done, then add garlic & optional carrots and mushrooms, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add spaghetti sauce, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and sauteed vegetables to meat.
- Stir and cook on medium heat about 30 minutes.
- Spray lg baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread layer of sauce mixture on bottom of pan.
- Layer with 1/2 of ziti noodles, then 1/2 of the cottage cheese, then 1/2 of the well drained spinach, then 1/3 of the shredded jack cheese, then 1/3 of the parmesan cheese.
- Pack down with your hands or with a large heavy metal spoon.
- Cover with more sauce, then repeat layering; ziti, cottage cheese, spinach, jack cheese, and parmesan.
- Cover with more sauce, then top with remaining 1/3 jack cheese and 1/3 parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, making sure cheese doesn't burn.