Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
The Iroquois Confederacy included parts of what is now Ontario and Quebec. Their food sources included cultivation of corn, beans, and squash, hunting and fishing, and gathering.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3⁄4 lb haddock fillet (or trout or bass)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lima beans
- 6 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- Place broth in a large saucepan.
- Add green onions and cornmeal.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 miutes.
- Add fish, lima beans, and mushrooms. Continue cooking for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking the fish into small pieces.
- Add parsley and dill; cook for 1 minute longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I am giving this 4 stars because I think it is very good for what it is. Just wasn't in my range of favorite foods. I am a Tuscarora, from the Iroquois Nation, so I wanted to try one of my "native" foods. I'm glad I tried this, so thank you for the recipe, realbirdlady! Made for ZWT4